Sunday, April 6, 2008

We are with Arabella in Guatemala!

We made it to GU with no problems. We arrived at the bed & breakfast with about 1.5 hours before the baby arrived, so I had time to freshen up. I was a little nervous as I waited for Arabella and her foster mother to arrive, but as soon as they came through the door I was fine. Bella came right to me with no fussing (see the fist picture above). The lady in green is Karen, Arabella's foster mom. Karen could speak enough English for us to talk about the baby. I am very relieved after meeting her, because it is obvious that she loves Bella and takes very good care of her. She told me that Arabella is a gift from God. Karen had dressed the baby in the Easter dress we sent her, and she looked adorable. Karen was wearing the cross necklace we had sent her as a gift as well. We visited with Karen for about an hour and the baby didn't fuss at all when she left. Karen said that she is a joy to care for and usually only cries if she is hungry or sleepy. She also said that she sleeps all night. The first evening was spent playing and eating. Arabella seemed to take to us both really well. Bella and I had fun playing while Bob went to the grocery store. Because of all the excitement, the baby missed her late afternoon nap. Things were good until bedtime. She went to sleep after taking her bottle. I laid her in the crib and she slept for about 10 minutes. She woke up screaming and didn't want to lay back down. I think she was scared. She was thinking, "Where am I and who is this lady holding me?" She kept going back to sleep and then she would wake up and cry. Finally about 3 a.m., she gave in and went to sleep next to me on the bed. She woke up a little after 6 a.m. in a very good mood for having such little sleep. I put her in the bed with Bobby and me (in the middle) and she just laid there for almost an hour laughing and playing with us (see the last picture of Bella and Bobby). I think she might be starting to teeth again (she has 2 teeth on the bottom of her mouth - see the picture of her in the high chair above). She slobbers constantly and chews on everything! She also likes to give her mommy wet slobbery kisses. The cutest thing she does is when you ask her something she just grins and shakes her head no 2 - 3 times. The second night went much better. We gave Arabella her first bath and I got soaking wet! Then we played a while and she took a bottle. Bella went to sleep about 11 p.m. and slept until 6:15 a.m. YEAH!! I got about 5 hours of sleep and have more energy today. Arabella has bonded really well with me and prefers that I hold her (constantly), but that's ok. I don't mind, I have a short time to hold her before I have to come back home, so I want to take advantage of every second.

Arabella is a very good baby. She laughs and plays and sings all day. Karen told me that she thinks she will be a singer when she grows up; the girl does have a good set of lungs. She smiles a lot and is usually content (even with a dirty diaper) unless is she is sleepy or hungry. She is hot natured and continuously takes her socks off. She is infatuated with her feet. She plays with her feet, holds things with her feet, and even sucks on her toes occasionally. She also likes to sit up on the counter and talks and laughs at the "baby in the mirror." She has had us cracking up several times. I can't wait to get her home so all my family and friends can meet her; you all will fall in love with her instantly. She is irresistable!

Well, that is all for now. Arabella will be waking up from her afternoon nap any minute now. I will post more pictures when I get a chance.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Oh Tonya! How wonderful! I was so thankful for the update. Enjoy your precious time I will see you in a few days.

Darcy said...

Oh my goodness! She is more gorgeous than ever. I have checked and checked this page to see if everything was going alright for you all. I can see that everything is just PERFECT! I am so happy for you that I am crying right now. You enjoy every precious second. You all are a beautiful family. God bless you all.
Darcy

Diane said...

I am sitting here with tears as I look at these pictures of a beautiful family. I am so glad I checked my email and that Darcy sent this. I had been wondering about you! Bella is so cute and her foster mom looks like a wonderful lady. I will be praying for you to have a wonderful week with your daughter and a safe trip home. Give Bella a kiss for me.

Diane M.

lauren said...

Tonya - I am so glad that things are going so well for you guys - can't wait to meet you on Thursday!!