Sunday, June 8, 2008

We're in Antigua with Arabella.

It's been a very busy past couple of days, so I haven't had time to give you all an update on how things are going. We left Guatemala city on Friday at about 11 a.m. We first had to go to the God Bless the Children (my attorney's office) to get the custody papers that Bella's birthmom signed giving me temporary custody while I am in Guatemala. We had to do this in order for me to be allowed to take Bella out anywhere. It was neat seeing the office, and I got to sit on the couch where Bella gets her monthly update pictures taken on. There were foster mothers and their babies there picking up their monthly supplies of diapers and formula.
Then it was off to the supermarket. It was called the Hiper Piez; it's owned by Walmart. We found most of the things we needed there. Our driver, Victor, was great and helped us read things in Spanish and find where everything was in the store. We got McDonald's on the way out just like at home, and ate our lunch on the way to our house in Antigua. Bella did great in the car and took a nap. We got to the house and the landlord, Isabelle, was here to show us everything. On Saturday, we decided to walk to the grocery store in Antigua to get a few things we forgot or couldn't find in the other store. Arabella wouldn't ride in her stroller, so I had to carry her most of the way. She weighs 18 pounds now; my back was aching terribly by the time we got home. The store was very crowded as well as the streets; this was not a fun adventure. We were all cranky before it was over. We decided it was so crazy because it was a Saturday at lunch time; we weren't thinking about that when we went. From now on, we will go during the week and earlier in the day.
The weather in Guatemala is a lot different than when Bob and I were here in early April. It is now their rainy season, and it rains almost every afternoon/evening. If you want to go anywhere, you have to go early in the day. It was cool and rainy most of the day today, so we didn't go anywhere. We are going to try to get out in the morning and walk to the pharmacy and the market if it is not too cool for the baby.
Bella is a very good baby. She plays and laughs a lot. She is eating very good for us. She has liked everything we have given her. Grandma made her some chicken noodle soup {with carrots} like her foster mom makes for her and she loves it. She also enjoys mashed mangos and bananas. The fruit is really good here, better than at home.
The house we are staying in is really nice acccording to Antigua standards. It is taking some getting used to not having some of the conveniences of home, but that is ok. I would stay in a shack as long as I could do it with Bella. The last picture you see is of the volcano you can see right out our upstairs balcony.
Bella is bonding with me very well. She had a little scared/mad fit the first day and you could tell she was protesting being left by her fostermom. She is really attached to her, but that is to be expected because she has been with her since she was 3 weeks old. I think after that she realized she could trust me and she was fine. She seems to remember who I am. For the first few days, I couldn't leave the room or put her down much at all. She would cry for me. She is letting Grandma hold her more now. I still need to do most of the feeding, holding, changing diapers, etc. to promote attachment which is important for adopted children. But at least Grandma can hold her while I go to the bathroom or for a few minutes when I need to get or do something. Her face lights up when I walk in the room and she reaches for me. That makes me one happy momma. I love her so much, I don't know what I would do without her. I know I am blessed beyond measure to get to spend this time with her. I will cherish this time for the rest of my life.
I'll try to do better with updates, but I can't promise anything. When you have a busy baby needing your attention all day, it is hard to get a few minutes to type anything. I'm sure you'll understand.
Adios amigos,
Tonya

5 comments:

Kim said...

I don't remember how I started following your blog, but I'm glad you are getting settled in! I did notice, in this post, that I think you are using the attorney we used for our adoption!! (C?) If so, I LOVE her!!! Have a great time!!

Dream Angel's Mommy said...

I've been wearing out your blog looking for an update. It is good to see that things are going well. Everything seems so exciting. Best of all, you are with your baby girl. I'm living vicariously though you! Stay safe and treasure every second with her. I love the view from the balcony. Show us some more pics of the house if you get a chance.
Valerie

Lori said...

Oh Tonya,

I am grinning from ear to ear just reading your update!! I am so thankful to hear that Bella remembers you and that she seems to be settling in with you! I agree with Valerie would love to see more pictures of the house. Enjoy your times together, we will be satisfied for updates whenever you are able.
Lori

Beth said...

Tonya,
I am so happy you two are bonding so well. I am glad you have this time to share with her. Hopefully you will be out of PGN and able to take her home soon! It would be nice if it could happen while you are there! Have a great time and keep the pictures coming! I check your blog every day for an update. I know what you mean about finding time to type. I have to wait for Zach to go to bed. Otherwise he thinks he needs to type too!

Beth

lauren said...

I am so glad that things are going well and it is awesome to hear you talk about how attached Bella seems to be!!! That's a great sign :) Enjoy every minute (I wish I was there too!!!)